Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I'm making a fireplace!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As some of you know, I'm going through a sad time. Too many tears. I've found that creativity is very soothing when my world gets shaken so I'm making a fireplace for my dolls. They NEED a fireplace. They need to see those flickering flames and have somewhere to hang their stockings. They need a place to put their candlesticks and framed photos and holly sprigs. They need a dreamy and sweet Christmas Eve.

    I'll post as I go but I probably won't have time to take pics. I'm at the first step, finding the pieces. The fire pit from the Seaside Accessories will be used in the fireplace.

    And guess what? An AG shipping box, the ones we get with one outfit in them, is the perfect size for the fireplace! So you all can make a fireplace too if you kept one of those boxes. It's sturdy and is the right shape and size for a fireplace and almost the perfect depth for using the fire pit. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] I'd prefer a fireplace that wasn't so deep but had to make it deep enough to hold the fire pit. Tonight I have to go out so I'm picking up a couple of those decorative wood shapes from the craft store to glue on the front.

    Other items to be used:
    *tacky glue
    *an x-acto knife to cut the opening in the front
    *foam core board for the mantel. (Look carefully at the fireplace pic in the Wishbook and you'll see the mantel looks like it's made of layers of foamcore.)
    *wood trim and wood shapes for decoration (found at craft stores, in wood craft supplies and dollhouse supplies )
    *brick surface (painted, design paper or etc) to place inside the fireplace. Dollhouse supplies have great brick paper but it might be more expensive than I want.
    *popsicle sticks and black paint to make the fire grate
    *paint, probably a pale cream/white color because that's what my living room walls are.

    I haven't yet decided what to use for a firescreen.

    Julia

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 21, 2005 05:07 PM: Message edited by: JuliaAM ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're so creative. I have nothing to offer you but wishes of good luck.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member stacird's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Last year, Hobby Lobby had some brick print felt in the fabric section. It was about 50 inches wide, and the bricks were the right size. It's what I planned to use for fireplace covering, just haven't found the time to put it together.
    I'm anxious to see yours when finished.

    Stacird

  4. #4
    LordofthePumpkinPatch
    Guest LordofthePumpkinPatch's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks for the idea! I've been wanting a fireplace. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member kymmy3's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 24th, 2003
    Posts
    323
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow....to be that creative! Have fun and post pics for the less fortunate dollies.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member DaisyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2005
    Posts
    646
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You might also be able to find 12x12 scr@pbooking paper with bricks or stones to use as a covering too.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jenndon's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2005
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am NOT super crafty, but I may try that. I have crafty ideas and urges, but I'm just not very patient, and the results aren't always good.

    Hang in there, and keep crafting. . . .

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner OSusannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    939
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The box you are using, is it the one with the lid that is attached and folds down? Or the smallest of the "big" boxes with the regular flaps?

    I have seen "brick" s****booking paper, that would be perfect.

    You are so creative, I can't wait to see the finished fireplace, I know it will be beautiful!

  9. #9
    rolloverrover
    Guest rolloverrover's Avatar

    Post

    Now I'm excited to find the time to make mine, but mine will consist of a box, paper and scissors. [img]redface.gif[/img]

    I'm excited for pictures of yours!! You're just too [img]cool.gif[/img] !

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Janabanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2002
    Posts
    107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I found that s****book paper worked well and was cost efficient! The first time I tried to make a fireplace I tried to adhere the paper on top of foam for strength! The results were bad and I tried again! I finally decided to just use foam braces behind it to adhere it to the walls of my doll sitting room. It's actually held up well and the mantle was made out of paper that was folded into a long oblong rectangle. It can hold a couple of candles, but I haven't tried to hang stockings yet! Maybe that will be tonight's project! Good luck and make sure you get some pics as we're interested in seeing your results!
    P.S. You may want to save some stone or brick paper for the hearth and in front of your fireplace!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •